Emergencies in Henley

Calling for help
In an emergency call 999 from any telephone (such calls are FREE).
The operator will ask whether you need the POLICE, AMBULANCE OR FIRE service.
Give your location as precisely as possible (this is marked on all public telephones).

Medical Emergencies:

  • There are three main options if you require medical treatment.
  • If you have a minor injury or illness (e.g. a blister or a cold), the Pharmacist in any Chemist will be able to offer advice and sell you a suitable remedy.
    Boots the ChemistMoss ChemistTesco
    5-7 Bell Street25 Bell Street359 Reading Road
    +44 (0) 1491 574132+44 (0) 1491 574142+44 (0)1491 881449
  • In the event of more serious illness or injury, you can receive treatment from a GP (General Practitioner) There are a number of surgeries in Henley. If you are prescribed medicine from the doctor's dispensary or the local chemist's, there will be a prescription charge of around 5 a time.
    Bell SurgeryHart SurgeryM J Elliot
    York RoadYork RoadHambleden
    +44 (0) 1491 843250+44 (0) 1491 843200+44 (0) 1491 571305

  • If you are unable to attend a surgery, or are suffering from a serious injury or illness the best source of treatment is the local Accident and Emergency Department (Emergency Room). In the Henley area, the alternatives are:
    Townlands Hospital, York Road, Henley, +44 (0) 1491 410600
    (small general hospital with a minor A&E department)
    Royal Berkshire Hospital, London Road, Reading, +44 (0) 118 987 5111
    (Large hospital with A&E department, plus an Eye Casualty department +44 (0) 118 987 7163)

  • In an emergency call 999 from any telephone.
  • The UK has a National Health Service (NHS) as well as a number of private hospitals. Free treatment under the NHS is only available to UK residents. Foreign visitors should ensure they have adequate health insurance should it be necessary. However, treatment is provided on a 'treat first, ask questions' later basis.

    Dentists and Opticians:
    Dental treatment for foreign visitors is subject to the same restrictions as NHS medical treatment (see above). Most dental treatment is administered by appointment only, although dental emergencies will be treated as soon as possible.
    C Hurst136 Reading Road+44 (0) 1491 578902
    S Martin66 Market Place+44 (0) 1491 574502
    S B Bear29 Hart Street+44 (0) 1491 573112
    Coleman & Partners84 Reading Road+44 (0) 1491 574153

    If you visit an optician you can expect to pay charges on a similar scale to those incurred in your home country. Check your health insurance to see if you are covered.
    Bunker Optometrist13 Friday Street+44 (0) 1491 412020
    Chilton Watson23 Bell Street+44 (0) 1491 574363
    Frost, Borneo & Gegg4 Hart Street+44 (0) 1491 574 091

    Wherever you are staying, you should make yourself aware of the fire precautions and procedures for the building. Fire escapes and doors should be marked clearly in all hotels, hostels etc. If you need the fire service, call 999 (see above). The fire service are the UK's general rescue service and are equally at home fighting a fire or rescuing a cat from a tree. UK citizens are generally advised not to attempt to fight a fire themselves and the fire service would prefer to be called for a minor fire than risk a major accident.

    Henley is hardly the crime capital of the world, but petty thefts and similar are possible, so take general sensible precautions. Lock cars and minibuses, and those training make sure your personal possessions are tucked well away in a changing room while you are on the river. Any thefts of money or possessions should be reported to the police at once. They will give you a police report form and reference number, so that even if your property is not recovered, you should be able to claim on your insurance when you get back home. If you lose credit or bank cards, even if they seem to be unusable in this country, cancel them immediately using the number your financial institution gave you before travelling. If you lose your passport, telephone your embassy or consulate in London at once. Check Embassy World for details before you travel.

    Should you require non-urgent advice or non-emergency assistance from the police, do not call 999 - please call the nearest station number (below). Alternatively, ask a police officer or flag down a passing patrol car (white with an orange and blue stripe). During the big regattas there are many local police in evidence, helping with traffic control and usually more than willing to give you advice, for variety if nothing else!

    Police Stations in the Henley area:
    Henley-on-Thames, Kings Road, Henley-on-Thames+44 (0) 1491 410600
    Reading, Castle Street, Reading+44 (0) 118 953 6000

    Accommodation Emergencies
    Wherever you are staying, there should be some way of getting in touch with repairmen if there is a plumbing or other domestic catastrophe. Hotels and hostels will deal with problems themselves when you notify reception. If you are renting a property for a training camp, make sure you are told the right phone number to ring when you take the keys over.